I love being in my comfort zone. Things are predictable and safe. Very rarely am I thrown for a loop or get stressed out. Its a place of security (or so we think).
About 3 years ago I had the chance to step out of my comfort zone and spend the summer cooking at a camp in the Canadian wilderness. It would be a huge adjustment for me, but I took the chance and went. At the beginning of the summer the camp director challenged us staff to pick a character trait and resolve to work on it during the course of our time there. I decided to pick the character quality of security because I was in some desperate of some!
What does Security look like? Basically it is “structuring my life around that which is eternal and cannot be destroyed or taken away”.
Let me tell you, I learned a great deal that summer; the biggest lesson being that nothing in this world is ‘secure’. Here is a journal entry from the end of that summer:
“I realized that God is the only thing that won’t change… Home will change. People will change. Circumstances will change. Situations will change. Responsibilities will change. Friends will change. Places will change. Feelings will change. God won’t. He’s the only thing that will not change. I will not find my security in the familiar. I will not find happiness in being in my comfort zone. Being home won’t give me rest. Only God can give me those things. So no matter where I am I can be content, joyful, and secure…not because things won’t change, but because with me every step of the way is One who will not change. I would be foolish to think that my rest and security could be found in something other than Him.”
Here are my favorite 10 verses on Security:
- Hebrews 1:11-12, “…they will perish, but you remain; they will wear out like a garment, like a robe you roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will have no end.”
- James 1:17, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”
- Hebrews 13:8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
- Psalm 138:8, “The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.”
- Psalm 27:1, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
- Psalm 4:8, “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
- Psalm 16:8, “I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.”
- Psalm 37:23-24, “The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.”
- Psalm 55:22, “Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.”
- Psalm 118:8, “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.”
What verses speak to you about finding security in Jesus alone?